According to Stephen Leatherman, aka “Dr. Beach,” there are approximately 650 major public recreational beaches in the United States. Only one, though, can be No. 1. What strand of sand earns that designation? This year, the honor goes to Coronado Beach near San Diego, which tops Leatherman’s 2012 annual list of the Top 10 Beaches in the country. Released on Friday, the full list includes:
- Coronado Beach, Coronado, Calif.
- Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
- St. George Island State Park, St. George Island, Fla.
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Eastham, Mass.